Friday, August 1, 2008

Observations on the last month

This past month was educational. After a month trying to stay on a strict zone I realized why I always stopped doing it in the first place, because it drives me batshit!! It definitely works. The weeks that I was on I was losing weight like it was nothing, but the constant weighing and making sure you had enough of this or that is just nerve wracking. I was taking the 5 days on 2 days off approach. I found that this was not very effective. I would lose a lot of weight during the week, only to gain a bit of it over the weekend; one step forward two steps back. If you decide to follow the Zone prescription, do it right! Don't make compromises and eat crap on weekends or have a cheat day. Throwing in an occasional cheat meal is ok, but don't make a whole day(or two) out of it.

Today I weighed in at 186, down 6 pounds from the start of the month. I feel like my weight fluctuates so much that it is a bad measurement. I need to get accurate body fat% measurements to track real progress. I am anxious to see how the other people did on their hard routine. Maybe the problem with mine is it wasn't hard enough; or not followed enough...

This diet is a good one if you are a structured, disciplined person. I don't fall into that category. From now on I will stick to what I was doing before, Intermittent fasting on the low carb end of the spectrum. I will do mostly 15-18 hour daily fasts with an occasional 24 hour fast thrown in there. My calories will be mostly made up of protein and fat, with as little carbohydrates as possible. I like this approach as it is more natural than weighing(aaaargh) all your food out, it is easier to implement, and I feel good while I'm doing it.

No comments: